Taken from the comments on this page of Nick Clegg's frankly AWESOME 'Your Freedom' government website, where members of the public are invited to suggest which draconian, unnecessary laws they want to see scrapped. I hope this one makes it onto the bill, and if it doesn't I might well see about a motion to conference next year - I've long argued that it's disgusting to tell owners of pubs they can't allow a legal activity on their own premises!
Test Your SHS (Second Hand Smoke) IQ
1. Who was the first European politician to implement comprehensive smoking bans?
a) Adolf Hitler
b) Bertie Aherne
c) Patricia Hewitt
2. In the government's own survey by the ONS in 2006 what % of the public did NOT want a complete smoking ban in pubs?
3. Which of the following has been linked to the highest increased risk of lung cancer?
a) drinking 3+ pints of milk a day
b) drinking 4+ cups of coffee a day
4. In 1998 a World Health Organisation study found what link between parents smoking & the risk of their children later developing lung cancer?
a) 20% reduced risk
b) no change
c) 20% increased risk
5. What’s the minimum no. of cigarettes that would need to be smoked in a sealed 20x22x9ft room in one hour for chemicals in SHS to become toxic?
6. In 2006 the NHS spent £31 million on advertising campaigns, inc. new nurses, blood donation, drugs, immunisation, sexual health, etc. What type of advertising made up 73% of the total spending?
b) recruiting new nurses
c) blood donation
7. Following a single complaint to OFCOM, what scenes from Tom & Jerry did TV channel Boomerang have to cut out?
a) Tom smoking
b) Tom hitting Jerry with an axe
c) Jerry plugging Tom’s tail into an electricity socket
How did you score?
Mostly a) Congratulations, you already know a lot about the SHS myth!
Mostly b) There’s hope for you yet but the truth is still out there.
Mostly c) Oh dear, you appear to have been brainwashed by the anti-smoking lobbyists :)